M/s Shantha Biotechnics has launched three Vaccines Hib, DPT + Hib and DPT + Hep-B + Hib. Hib is an important monovalent vaccine that has been combined with Hepatitis B and DPT vaccine to make pentavalent vaccine. The use of combination vaccines has many clear benefits like:
- Reduced number of injections
- Reduced exposure to thimerosal
- Reduced number of syringes used and thus generating less vaccines related waste
- Cost saving in transport, storage and administration and
- Better immunization Coverage.
The company has got the WHO approval for the hepatitis B vaccine and is supplying vaccines to UN agencies in addition to the Indian market. Exim Bank has also supported the project by providing a loan of Rs. 2300 lakhs.